Thursday, September 17, 2009

Book Review - Trick of the Light - Rob Thurman


I've already mentioned on this blog that I really enjoy Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros books. I thought her latest, Deathwish, was in a category all on its own for her treatment of the relationship between Cal and his brother Niko - heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. This book, Trick of the Light, which released on September 1, kicks off a new urban fantasy series set in the same world and has a similar relationship of mutual dependence (but in the same healthyish way) for two of the secondary characters. If you're thinking that she's re-using a plot mechanism, you're welcome to your opinion, but don't complain about it to me, because I think she does a super job with it, and I love these characters. DON'T rain on my parade, got it?

Like many other authors who want to actually eat something more costly than Ramen noodles, she's started a second series. Most publishers don't want to publish more than one book in the same series per year, so if an author wants to actually make enough money to rise above the poverty level, they're having to branch out to other works.

The Trickster novels feature Trixa Iktomi, an information merchant and cheap bar owner. As I said, it's placed in the same world as Cal's books (ours but with lots of scary-assed things that go bump in the night), but it's set in Vegas as opposed to NYC. We don't get any mention of the brothers, but Robin Goodfellow gets a cameo and we find out more about the peris (like Ishiah who runs the bar that Cal "works" at). This was a great urban fantasy and I devoured it.

Here's me as it's getting to the end of the book:
  • Okay, I got this. I'm onto what she's doing with that little trail of breadcrumbs throughout the book.
  • This other thing though, I think I know where it's going. But it can't really be, right? I mean, nah.
  • And what's up with that thing? It's got to tie in somehow, but I haven't got a clue as to how.
  • Oh, man. This main chick character is just waaaaay too cocky. Things are clearly getting ready to go FUBAR
  • (Closing my eyes) I just can't watch whatever is about to happen. It can't be good for the home team.
  • And wha- WTF just happened?
  • NO. Nuh. Uh. Damn. It really happened... But not quite like I thought. I like her way better than what I pictured. Good on ya, Robyn.
  • And holy hell! Where did that come from? Not a clue! I had not a freaking clue that that was in store for us.
  • Wow. Just wow.
And I sat there in shock for a while. Now, since I've been bragging on it, I'm sure that your experience won't be quite so intense. I've pumped it up too much maybe. Nah. It really is a great book and I hope that some of you all pick it up and read it. For me, it was time extremely well-spent, both as a reader and a writer. I wanna be like her when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment