Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's been... forever...

... or at least 2 weeks since I've posted. You know the drill - busy life, no time, kids, work, writing, blah blah blah.

I've been doing more editing than writing lately, and will probably continue that trend for the next couple of weeks. I'm still writing off and on, but not daily like I was before. I did come up with a cool social thing for my dark fantasy that I'm planning out though. I'm still working out the kinks in the idea, but I think it's pretty neat, and it's something that I haven't seen in a story before. Of course, that really means absolutely nothing. If I run it by my friend Mike and he hasn't seen it elsewhere, then we can consider it unique. :)

Have you guys been reading anything good lately?

I finished Jim C. Hines' The Stepsister Scheme (on my nook), recommended frequently by Lisa Shearin. I enjoyed it immensely. It's not a grab-and-won't-let-you-go-action-every-page kind of novel, but it was definitely a good fantasy read. I'll probably pick up The Mermaid's Madness at some point soon. Both stories feature Cinderella (aka Danielle, the clever, determined underdog), Snow White (aka Snow, a lusty, curvaceous mirror mage), and Sleeping Beauty (aka Talia, a deadly fighter) and how their "true" stories differ from the traditional fairy tales we know and get tired of our kids watching. The fairy tales only get some of it right, and these girls' actual lives are not all sunshine, true love and roses. In TSS the girls set out to rescue Cinderella's prince when he gets kidnapped by her evil stepsisters.

Before that I read Rachel Vincent's young adult
Soul Screamers series (also on my nook). If you liked Twilight, you should like this, and as a bonus... less teenager angst!!! Yippee! The first book in the series, My Soul to Lose, is currently available as a FREE e-book from B&N. It's not a super long story, so if you can stand to read from your PC for a couple of hours, it's might be worth it to you to download B&N's e-reader app and read this one at no charge. The first one was decent, and gets you knowing the main char Kaylee, although you don't find out what causes the weird screaming until book #2. It was actually the book 2 teaser at the end of the first book that kept me going with this series and I'm glad I did. It's a great series, and I'm looking forward to more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment