Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sci Fi Weaponry

Remember when I said I was going to ping you guys about ideas for weapon technology for my sci fi novel... in a couple of days? Yeah, that was like 3 weeks ago, so here I am, right on schedule with that!

Previously, I ran my fire-power ideas by a few friends, and came out on the other side with a line of knives (plas-blades), an area of effect paralyzation gizmo, 3 basic hand-held pistol types and 3 rifle types. I've got stunning, mid-range power, single-shot large creature take-down capabilities, area of effect and sniping options all taken care of.

Here's what I could use from you guys:
  • Besides the weapon types listed above, can you think of anything else I might need?
  • I'm avoiding laser type weapons and currently debating whether to have the ubiquitous "blaster" weapons, "pulse" weapons (whatever those are) or a mix of the two. What do you guys think? Are there other options I'm unaware of? I really don't want to come up with my own. I'm having a hard enough time coming up with the society, religion, clothing, food, medicine, and the list goes on...
  • Do you have any ideas on restraints (either to contain creatures in an area or to restrain appendages)?
If you have any thoughts on this stuff, leave your ideas in the comments section, along with a variation of your name that you'd put to a weapon if it makes it into the book. For example, a friend of mine unintentionally inspired one of my weapons, the Markee-03 (often referred to as the M-aught-three), so he'll be immortalized in my scifi novel if it ever gets published and if the editors let me keep the name in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment