Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Like it, love it, want more of it

Yesterday I mentioned some authors who post free fiction & stuff on their websites. That got me thinking about which authors I'd like to see some free fiction from.
  1. Patricia Briggs - Urban Fantasy/Fantasy - More Briggs! More Briggs! More Briggs! Anything - we don't care, just write more faster!! Nuff said. (She does have excerpts from her novels on her website)
  2. ** Jeanine Frost - Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance - Bones + Cat 4eva
  3. Mark del Franco - Urban Fantasy - At first, Connor seemed an awful lot like Butcher's Harry Dresden to me, but I got them separated in my head and found out that, hey, I really like this Connor guy - on the surface he's like Harry (supernatural PI type) but he's got completely different issues to deal with and a different personality. Me likey.
  4. Rob Thurman - Darkish Urban Fantasy - For an incredibly rude, crude, antagonistic half-monster, Cal is really likeable.
  5. Kresley Cole - Paranormal Romance - All I got to say is yummy mythological types, vampires, shifters and demons (ohhhhhh, the deeeeemons) with sassy, slang-flinging heroines. My favorite term from her books - a mantrum - where the guys get pissy at being ditched on girl night.
  6. Lori Armstrong - Mystery - I've really been enjoying her Julie Collins books - not your typical heroine. She drinks too much, smokes too much, fights too much, but she's good people. And her and Tony together? Rwar. Just Rwar.
  7. Lori Foster/LL Foster - Romance/Paranormal Romance (sorta) - Whichever name she's writing under, she produces great stuff. I needz more Gaby though. Plz.
  8. JD Robb/Nora Roberts - Mystery/Romance - I put her at the end of my list here even though her In Death series is one of the best things in print, because the woman writes so much so quickly that I really don't weep for my next fix for too long before she supplies.
** I was going to put Lois McMaster Bujold for #2, and when I went to her site to get the link, I saw that she does have free fiction (mostly chapter excerpts, but still)!! Yippee! I think I'm going to get my youngest sis reading her The Sharing Knife series (fantasy). Bujold is another writer who just doesn't write bad stuff. When I got back into SciFi, a B&N employee turned me on to her, and man - she's amazing!

I'm sure I've missed a bunch here. Feel free to post in the comments about how I've ignored your favorite author. There are so many great ones out there right now. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment